Monday, January 3, 2011

Guess Who's Walking

Plan your work and then work your plan.
That's my new year's resolution and we're on day two, so far so GREAT!

I spent several hours last week working on a master list of everything that needs to happen to manage our household.  Then, I broke everything down into daily, weekly, monthly and semi-annually tasks.  Next, I created a schedule for everyone in the family.  I now know what chores need to happen each day which frees me up to ignore tomorrow's list of chores.  I am also able to keep track of what I choose to let go of and can plan a time to catch up.

So far, the best part of this plan has been the instances where I can choose to connect with my kids and not feel overwhelmed by the stuff I'm ignoring!  For example, yesterday I needed to clean up after lunch and switch out laundry.  I was able to quickly mentally redistribute those chores to a later time in order to take advantage of a fun backyard play time with the kids!!!

I am better able to keep my priorities in order.  I start the day with exercise and the Bible and end the day with down time alone followed by a scheduled hour to hang out with Will.  I was really hoping to work in more time for each of those things and with this new plan that should work out!

One new aspect of the new plan is to involve Adriaan in the household chores.  He has a chore chart and of course he enjoys getting to help and also getting to  keep track of his progress with fun magnets.  His responsibilities include the following:  wake up dry, get dressed, help dad unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry, put away his folded clothes, wipe the table and high chairs after dinner, put on pj's and brush his teeth.

-----

We did school in the kitchen today and made one of Ado's favorites, Peanut Butter Crunchies.  This is an adapted recipe from the famous Hagen Cookbook "Peanut Butter Granola."

Here is my adapted recipe:
15 cups freshly rolled Oat, Rye and Barley flakes
1/8 cup flax seed oil
1/8 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 stick butter
1/2 cup honey (local if possible to help with allergies)
16 oz jar of natural peanut butter (Laura Scudders is our favorite)
1 tsp vanilla

Combine everything but flakes in a pot over low heat, until melted.  Gently stir in flakes.
Bake at 350 on cookie sheets for 10 minutes, watch closely because it will burn easily.
Store in air tight containers in the refrigerator or freezer.


rolling oats for fresh "PB Crunchies,"

 It's not officially a "chore" to move the clothes from the hamper to the garage door but it's something Ado enjoys doing because he uses his trolly or dump truck.  I usually ask him to do this task when he's got energy to burn and it keeps him entertained for a good while.  He is such an adorable helper!!!


this is what it looks like when the babies help with laundry
As Ado puts it, "they don't really help because they just make
a really big disaster."  I tend to agree, but they're cute doing it!
Hanging out on big brother's bed is a favorite for the twins. 
They like to read books on his bed, it's really sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment